Profile Page

Helles Memorial, Gallipoli Helles Memorial, Gallipoli
First Name: John William Last Name: BROCK
Date of Death: 26/04/1915 Lived/Born In: Poplar
Rank: Private Unit: Border1
Memorial Site: Helles Memorial, Gallipoli

Current Information:



Gallipoli 1915


On 25 April, British, Australian and New Zealand forces landed on the Gallipoli peninsula. The plan was that these forces would soon defeat a demoralised Turkish army, knock Turkey out of the war, open up the Mediterranean to the Russian navy and threaten Austro-Hungary from the south. None of these things were achieved despite nine months of hard fighting in terrible conditions. It was an heroic failure.

The 29th Division and the Royal Naval Division landed at five separate beaches around Cape Helles.  Some were not defended, others were fiercely contested. Some ground was gained but within days the familiar pattern of trench warfare had set in. A similar pattern emerged further north where the ANZACS landed. The Turkish soldiers were much tougher fighters than had been given credit for and they were of course fighting an invasion of their homeland. The terrain, a series of steep rocky ridges and deep gullies made the fighting much more difficult  and during the hot summer of 1915, the flies arrived in biblical proportions. Another seven British divisions were sent to Gallipoli during the summer but little or no progress was made. In the end, a new Commander was appointed and plans to evacuate the entire force were drawn up. By January 1916, all British, Australian and New Zealand forces had left Gallipoli, leaving only behind the dead, over 56,000 of them.

On the morning 25th April, 2nd Royal Fusiliers landed unopposed at X Beach \and with the guns of HMS Implacable keeping the Turkish pinned down, they soon scrambled up the cliffs with the purpose of providing a flank guard for the othe landing beaches. As the day progressed Turkish resistance stiffened and 1st Borders, 87Brigade, 29th Division, were sent ashore to assist. Ordered to charge by Brigade HQ, they advanced some 600 to 100 yards before digging in.

1st Border remained in these positions for the next two days under constant sniper fire. 



« Back to Search Results
If you think any of the information shown here is incorrect, Click Here to submit your amends and comments


twitter icon
Copyright 2019 London War Memorial